The Institute's headquarters in downtown Durham, N.C. anchors the heart of what was once known as "Black Wall Street," home to some of the nation's largest minority-owned financial and related institutions.
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and later designated a National Historic Landmark, the building remains one of only a handful of landmarks owned by a minority organization.
The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company built the neoclassical, revival-style structure at 116 West Parrish Street in the center of Durham's business district as the company's second home. The building was officially dedicated on Saturday, December 17, 1921 after its completion in October of that year. In 1922, Mechanics and Farmers Bank moved its headquarters to the first floor.
The Institute purchased the building in 1999 and in 2008 restored the building's facade – windows, frames, and balconies – with a $100,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and a $500,000 appropriation from the North Carolina General Assembly. A capital campaign is under way to continue renovations to restore the exterior entryway to its original condition and to upgrade interior spaces and infrastructure.
Today, the Institute shares this historic space and Parrish Street attraction with a Mechanics and Farmers Bank branch, located on the first floor, and with the North Carolina NAACP and other nonprofits and small businesses located on the floors above. Please see the resources below to learn more.
"The Institute is the perfect custodian of this National Historic Landmark as it has helped thousands of North Carolinians achieve their dream of business ownership."
— Martin Eakes, CEO, Self-Help